Sephora’s Memorial Day Sale included some products that simply NEVER go on sale. Of these, the Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette was knocked down 50% to $25USD. Having wanted this for so long, I didn’t hesitate before adding it to my cart. I wanted to share my initial thoughts on this gorgeous neutral palette as soon as possible because I am so smitten with it!
- Scent – Can I just start by talking about how this smells like a legitimate chocolate bar? It’s a very appreciated little detail, but it’s not overwhelming. If you’re sensitive to scent, you may not like this part of it, but I personally don’t think it’s enough of a fragrance to be irritating.
- Color Range – This palette kills it as far as color range. It has so many great neutral shades with pops of warm reds, burgundies, khakis, and purples. I find the shade range to be similar to the Urban Decay Naked palette, but Chocolate Bar is much more wearable. There are much better neutral matte shadows for blending, plus gorgeous shimmer shades. It seems as though the colors are much more cohesive.
- Pigmentation – The colors overall are hit-or-miss. Most of the matte shades are excellent; they are buildable, smooth, and can pack a punch. The shimmer shades are buttery and easy to build up. Where this palette falls short on pigmentation is in the purple shades; they lack pigmentation and vibrancy, applying patchy.
- Shadow Quality – Upon first swatch, these shadows seem powdery. I was afraid they might be chalky! Despite this strange texture in the pan, they apply beautifully to the eyelids. The mattes and the shimmer shades perform so well. As I mentioned in the previous point, the violet shades are definitely a miss. They can be used as blending shades or in small areas, but they’re not standouts.
- Versatility – The shade and texture range in this shadow collection makes it very versatile. Yes, it’s mostly neutral, but the pops of color and spectrum of light-to-dark shades make this a day-to-day, smokey eye, and statement palette all in one. You can go warm, neutral, or cool with this, too. I think the best part is the wide assortment of mattes and shimmers.
What do you think of this palette? So far, I am very much loving it! It’s awakened my love for creating eyeshadow looks again; I can’t wait to keep digging into it.
I’m thinking of doing a comparison post between TF Chocolate Bar and UD Naked — comment below if you’d be interested in seeing this!
Let me know what your favorite neutral eyeshadow palette is and why.
P.S. If you aren’t already following me on Instagram, please do! I like to poll my followers to find out what content you’d like to see next. I think Instagram is just the easiest platform to get feedback on. Regardless, I love hearing the comments you have to offer on my blog posts, so let me know your thoughts below!
2 Corinthians 1:20 For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us.
Thank you for taking the time to hear what I have to say. I hope you’ve found something helpful, or at the very least interesting. You can keep up with my beauty adventures by following me on Instagram @offbeatvenusian. I also share my favorite photo memories from travel and life on my photo diary Instagram account @offbeatandaway. Instagram isn’t your vibe? I’m on Facebook, too. If you have any questions or comments, I always love hearing what you have to say. You can comment below or you can contact me here.