There is nothing more satisfying to a beauty addict than trying a beautiful, high-end product and falling in love with it. Luxury comes with a price tag, though, and it can be very disappointing to spend a good bit on a product that simply falls short. As someone who falls hard and fast for luxury products, I want to share with you some beauties that make you both feel and look like a queen.
Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation Stick ($46 for .25 oz at Sephora.com)
Why is it worth it?
- Packaging: Gorgeous, sleek, and substantial packaging make this foundation truly feel like luxury. The triangular shape is also a great innovation for the foundation stick; it allows you to reach difficult areas, like the eyes and around the nose.
- Finish: For dry skin, the dewy finish is an answered prayer. Not only does it give a natural finish, but it diffuses light in a way that makes skin appear even more flawless.
- Coverage: This is a true high-pigment, full-coverage foundation. That is a winner, especially because it is so lightweight. While it is intense, it is so easy to work with and manipulate, meaning you can achieve many levels of coverage.
- Application: There’s very little wasted product in a stick form. Simply swipe it on, blend, and add more if necessary. This product is very creamy and easily blendable, meaning the application process requires minimal effort.
Christophe Robin Cleansing Purifying Scrub with Sea Salt ($53 for 8.33 oz at Sephora.com)
Worth it because…
- Effectiveness: It gets the job done. The scrub shampoo format is new to me, and I find that it really cleans the scalp in just one go. It also takes almost no time to work.
- Gentleness: This product won’t strip your hair’s natural moisture, making it a good option for fine hair that is prone to damage. It is also color-safe, and because it is so effective, you can skip a few days of washes if you so desire.
- Clarifying: I like to use this as a “detox” if I feel buildup of oil or product in my hair. My scalp is definitely very oily, so I need a product that can completely get rid of all the gunk that builds up as a result. This scrub does exactly what I need it to do, all while ensuring that my hair stays soft and healthy.
- Weightless: If you need volume, this shampoo scrub will do just that. Your hair will be noticeably lighter and more bouncy after washing with this.
Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip Clay Cleanser ($45 for 4.2 oz at Sephora.com)
Why is it worth it?
- Balancing: If you have skin that’s sometimes too oily, or sometimes too dry, it’s hard to find a cleanser that doesn’t completely tip the scale. This cleanser works to regulate oil production without overdrying, and for dry skin, it softens to reveal perfectly balanced skin.
- Calming: For sensitive skin or skin prone to congestion, you want a cleanser that does the job without irritating your problems. This is so gentle with an almost cucumber-like scent; it calms your senses and your breakouts.
- Purifying: Some cleansers simply lift impurities off the surface, but this formulation is clay-based. While you massage this into your skin, the clay works to give you the results that a mask would. It draws impurities out, leaving you with noticeably softer and more clear skin.
- Refreshing: I’ll often wake up with dull, tired-looking skin, or just simply see the effects of stress or poor diet right on my face. This cleanser seems to rejuvenate my complexion. The clean and calming scent doesn’t hurt, either.
Giorgio Armani Beauty Eccentrico Mascara ($32 for .22 oz at Sephora.com)
- Volume: The formula for this product is just intense. A lot of mascaras require several quotes and more work to achieve that “falsies” level of drama, but this one creates luscious dark lashes with just a few swipes. Saving myself time and frustration building the product up on my lashes justifies the price tag on this one.
- Curl: I have extremely straight lashes, so I need something that gives my lashes a lift. Sometimes, I don’t have time or patience to use a curler, so I want something that creates a lift just by simple application. This product not only holds a curl all day, but is able to create an eye-opening look without a curler.
- Length: I hate when mascaras just coat your lashes in black and do nothing for them. This product, along with volume and curl, packs a punch in the appearance of lash length. Every aspect of false lashes that I love comes in this tube.
- Intensity: Volume, curl, length. Need I say more? If you’re looking for falsies in a tube, this is your best bet.
Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder ($26 for .14 oz at Sephora.com)
Why this one?
- Brightening: Choosing a translucent powder to set your undereye concealer is tricky. You want something that will lock it into place, prevent creases, and smooth out fine lines, but often we forget the power of light. This powder captures and reflects light in a way that is natural and noticeable. Just be sure you really blend the powder in, applying with a light hand. A little goes a long way and no one is a fan of white casts.
- Diffusing: I have very dry undereyes, so I always struggle with covering up my dark circles without looking 90 years old. The reflective properties in this powder create a diffused effect, blurring the look of fine lines and imperfections. I really did not appreciate this fact until I ran out and tried another translucent powder.
- Super-fine: Finely milled powder makes a difference, especially in an area that is prone to texture. This powder is so fine and soft that it barely leaves a trace on the skin’s surface. The result? Perfectly smooth skin with no cakey-ness.
- Crease-proof: If you are anything like me, you have a lot of fine lines around your eyes. These are accentuated when you smile, make faces, or squint, which I do a lot of. The problem with pretty much any concealer, especially those designed to be more hydrating, is that they budge and build up in the crevices of your fine lines. The super-fine texture of this powder prevents this from happening, and it actually sets your concealer right in its place.
I know luxury products are not always spot-on, but the ones that give great results are usually hard to replace. These have extra value to me, but they may solve problems that you don’t have. The beauty market is saturated with messages that certain products are all-around miracle workers, but it’s important to remember your own unique preferences and needs. This perspective makes it easier to sift through marketing madness and find solutions tailored to your own beauty quests. I hope this was helpful, or at least interesting to you. Maybe you’ve been looking for solutions to some of the same problems I have! If so, let me know in the comments. If you have luxury products you think are worth it, please share. On the other hand, maybe you’ve splurged on a product that just falls short. I’m all about trying and sharing. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
The Offbeat Venusian
Thanks for taking the time to read what I have to say. If you’re interested in keeping up with my adventures, be sure to follow me on Instagram at @offbeatvenusian. As always, if you have any questions, comments, or musings on your mind, you can reach me here. I hope you find some kind of reason to smile here today!
Psalms 37:4-5 Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act.